Saturday, June 23, 2012

Baked Stuffed Mushrooms


When I was doing my grocery shopping this week I stumbled across the most beautiful package of the largest button mushrooms I'd ever seen, and decided right then and there that I'd stuff them with a simple mushroom (stems), onion, breadcrumb and cheese mixture. I haven't stuffed mushrooms in ages and didn't really have a recipe, but went with my instincts and enjoyed this little concoction to the max. It makes a great appetizer or even a meal if you have it with a salad or another appetizer. As you know, I'm on the two appetizers make a meal bandwagon. This recipe is soooo simple and ever-so tasty.

Stuffed Mushrooms
serves four as an appetizer

Cooking spray
8 large mushrooms
1 T butter
1 T olive oil
1/2 medium onion chopped
8 mushroom stems chopped
1 clove garlic chopped
1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup bread crumbs- I used store bought Progresso Italian style
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Pre heat oven to 375 degrees. Remove stems from the mushrooms and chop. Clean mushrooms by wiping them with a damp towel. 

In medium skillet over low to medium/low heat add butter and oil. Add onions, Old Bay, salt and pepper and cook to soften, about 3 minutes. You could also add ground cayenne pepper for a bit of a bite (I forgot to do that) but I know 1/4 tsp would work fine. Now add the chopped mushroom stems and garlic. Cook another few minutes and turn off the heat. Stir in bread crumbs and cheese and combine.

Place stuffing mixture into the cavities of the mushrooms and put in baking dish that has been prepared with cooking spray. Spray tops of mushrooms with cooking spray. This will help them brown up in the oven.


Bake for 20 minutes. It's amazing how these little buggers retain their heat, so let them sit a few minutes before serving.


There are so many ways this recipe can be re-mixed. Add a tablespoon of low fat cream cheese or ricotta cheese. Or go Mexican and add a teaspoon or two of taco seasoning.  How about some roasted red peppers or even bottled sun dried tomatoes? I also think chopped, cooked bacon would be fabulous. And what about some fresh herbs from the garden? If you stick with one or two of the additional ingredients, you'll have yourself a fabulous little appetizer.

No comments: