Monday, March 17, 2014

Corned Beef and Grilled Cheese


Wow, yesterday I had a huge, beautiful plate of corned beef and today I am left with enough for a sandwich. Did we really gobble up all the beef? I guess we did. No matter, next time we'll make more. Tonight we have a grilled cheese corned beef sandwich to make.

Cooking Light (in their March issue) had an article on one of their ultimate grilled cheese sandwiches and I decided to take a tip from them to create tonight's dinner on the stovetop. I loved two things I read about their recipe- the cheese was creamy and lower fat than we regularly use and the amount of oil (not butter) that the sammie was fried in was a lot less calories. Well, the first statement is true- the cheese mixture is without a doubt creamy, flavorful and simply delish. The 1/2 tsp of olive oil for both sides of the sandwich just didn't seem to cut it, so I improvised and had to add a tad, just a tad of butter. Let's remember, grilled anything is never going to be figure friendly, so bring on the butter- not a whole lot, but let's at least be able to brown up the bread and taste something good and give this new grilled cheese and corned beef a try. I have to say, with my little changes, I loved it.

Grilled Cheese and Corned Beef Sandwiches
Inspired by Cooking Light
Revised by me

2 slices fresh rye bread
Leftover corned beef sliced thin
1 T softened goat cheese (Cooking Light used cream cheese)
1 tsp Dijon mustard (my addition)
1 tsp mayo (I used the light)
1/2 cup or a little more shredded light cheddar cheese
butter and 1/2 tsp canola oil for frying

In small bowl combine your mustard and goat cheese.


Mix it up and add the mayo and shredded cheddar. I tasted this and decided it didn't need any salt or pepper, but if you're a pepper person, add a few grinds, you'll be happy I'm sure.


 Take out two slices of rye bread and slather one side with the cheese mixture.


Now add your sliced cornbeef.


 
Well I was almost ready to close this little darling up when I realized I had a bit more cheese left, so what's a gal to do? Slather the remaining cheese on the other piece of bread I guess. Seemed like a plan.
 
 
Top that sammie with the other slice of cheesy bread and heat your skillet/pan to medium/medium low. Add in your 1/2 tsp of oil, but make sure to add alittle butter to your pan or you won't be happy. Saute a few minutes on side one. Flip and repeat. See what a beautiful litte grilled cheese sandwich you just made!
 
 
And think of the possibilities you could add to the cheese mixture instead of the mustard, A few that come to mind are horseradish, sriracha or pico de gallo. I do think any grilled cheese is worth an experiment or two, just don't forget to add a little butter. I'm so glad  did!


No comments: