Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Parmesan Coated Croutons...Quick on the Stovetop


I hate to throw away food, and this week my loaf of Italian bread was not being eaten for some reason. It was getting kind of stale, so instead of tossing it in the freezer for a later date, it went into a semi hot pan with garlic infused butter and olive oil and got a shake up in a brown paper bag with grated parmesan cheese. Voila! Croutons for tomorrow's salad. A simple technique and a great snack even if you're not a salad fan.

Parmesan Coated Croutons

3 or 4 slices of semi stale Italian bread cut into 1 inch cubes
1-1/2 T unsalted butter
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
4-6 cloves of garlic smashed
Kosher salt
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet heat butter and oil and add smashed garlic.


Cook until garlic becomes aromatic and slightly brown. Remove garlic from skillet with slotted spoon. This is about the color you're looking for because if you let it go any further it could easily burn and you'll have to start over. That's not something you want to do.


To garlic infused oil/butter mixture add your bread cubes and a tsp (or a little more) of kosher salt. Toss cubes in pan and cook for 5 or so minutes on all sides until mostly brown.


Now the fun begins. Remove croutons from pan and toss into a small brown paper bag with the cheese. Shake, shake, shake until your toasty bread cubes are covered with cheese. Immediate happy snacking and a fabulous salad garnish for another day. Wasn't that quick?

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Linda, I love doing this and tossing them on a salad, soup, chili, you name it, so good!

Anonymous said...

Yumm! I never think to make my own croutons! These sound really yummy too! I'd be snacking on them too!

Linda said...

I love homemade croutons because they have a little bit of chew and a little bit of crunch. Best of both worlds. Thanks ladies for stopping by.

Unknown said...

Linda, these croutons sound fabulous (and so easy). Thanks!

Unknown said...

Linda, these croutons sound fabulous (and so easy). Thanks!

Linda said...

Thea- I got the original recipe from Ann Burrell (sp?) and then decided to add the cheese in the brown paper bag. I must say, the cheese in the bag just takes this recipe over the top. The more cheese the better. Hope you give them a try, and thanks for stopping by, lovya

Courtney Wager said...

Linda, Just made the croutons for chix caesar salad for dinner tonight. AH-MAZ-ING! I was HOPING there would be enough for panzanella tomorrow night, but no way will there be any leftover!!!!

Linda said...

I'm so glad you liked them Courtney. I know you have to feed a family and I only have to feed myself and occasionally others. From now on, double my recipes and you might have leftovers.