Saturday, July 5, 2014

Peachy Keen Pulled Pork Tortillas


Lillian Russo turned me on to a new taste sensation a few months ago- pork sirloin cooked in salsa. My oh my, is this a nice treat. I use an inexpensive cut of meat, braise it on the stove top and yes my friends, it is delicious! This time I added Lillian's salsa of choice to the braise, which is peach, and thanks to Kevin at Tri Town Liquors, I also discovered a lovely little peach flavored libation (flavor enhancer, you know) to toss in.  So now I have 2 new ingredients to share and both worked like a dream.



Ready to cook? I sure was. Here are the ingredients I used:

Pulled Pork with Grilled Peach Avocado Salad
Serves 5
Inspired by Lillian Russo

1-1/2 pounds pork sirloin
2 T flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 T canola oil
1 medium onion chopped
1 jar (16 oz) Paul Newman Peach Salsa - I used medium heat
1 Serrano chili
1 bottle Smirnoff Ice Peach Bellini Malt Beverage
5 flour tortillas (7-8")

Grilled Peach Avocado Salad

1 peach sliced 1/2 inch
1 avocado  diced 1/2 inch
1 Serrano chili minced
3 scallions chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper
1 T chopped cilantro

Garnish
Greek yogurt and extra cilantro

Let's get cooking. Pat your pork sirloin dry and dredge in 2 tablespoons of flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Shake off any excess flour and heat oil in a large sauce pan on stovetop on medium. Brown pork on all sides to seal in the juices. Now add the onions, salsa, Smirnoff Peach Bellini and a whole Serrano chili. Bring to boil, cover and lower heat to simmer. For those who are not familiar with cooking with chilis, I must tell you that when they are cooked they become sweet and only slightly spicy. So if you want, you could certainly add another one.



Cook 2 hours and enjoy the aromas as they are wafting through your kitchen. I like to check on this dish every 1/2 hour or so, and turn the meat over, but as I've said before- I'm not sure it's necessary. By the time you get to the 1-1/2 hour mark, you'll find that the meat is done, and pulling itself away. I just give it that extra few minutes to get extra tender. Remove meat from cooking pan and let rest, tented with aluminum foil. Reduce liquid on stove top uncovered on medium heat to concentrate the flavors, about 10 minutes or so.

Ready for the salad?  While pork is resting, take out your stove top grill pan and grill your peach slices on both sides.


My advice to you is grill 2 peaches (I didn't do that)- you're going to want to nibble while you're putting the salad together and there's no better nibblin' than fresh grilled peaches. Dice the peach slices 1 inch, add chopped avocado, minced Serrano chili, chopped scallions, cilantro, a little salt and pepper and dress with lime juice.


I served this lovely dish on warmed tortillas. Pull your pork, toss it in the reduced cooked salsa combo, place on tortillas, add a little bit more sauce, top with the peach/avocado salad and garnish with Greek yogurt and cilanto. So good, and so worth making again and again.  

7 comments:

DeeDee2012 said...

Sounds absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipes!!

Lillian (My Recipe Journey) said...

Oh my yum! That looks and sounds heavenly! I love your re-mix idea with the peach liquor! Great post Linda! = D

Linda said...

Thanks gals, sure was good.

Anonymous said...

Nancy Judd here: Oh My gosh Linda.....talk about GOOD!!! I can hardly wait to make this! I've been looking for a new Mexican recipe as we love Mexican food and this one will really fill the bill. My family and friends will love this. And I can make it up a bit early to have ready for Sunday Supper. THANKS for a GREAT recipe!!!

Linda said...

Oh Nancy Judd, so good to hear from you. Yes, make this- I don't think you'll be disappointed. xxoo

plasterers bristol said...

hmm, this sounds really good. thanks for posting this recipe.

Simon

Linda said...

Thanks for your comment Simon. I hope you give this one a try, I think you'll like!